1. Do you accept debit and credit cards?

No. HWC accepts cash, checks or money orders for payment of electric, water and sewer bills. At this time we do not offer on-line bill pay.

2. What area do you service?

Electrical service is provided in the Towns of Houlton, New Limerick and portions of Hodgdon, Linneus, Littleon and Ludlow. A Map of our electrical service territory can be found on our website. Water service is provided to Houlton and a limited number of customers on the Walker Rd in Hodgdon. Sewer Service is provided to a majority of the town of Houlton

3. What are your office hours?

The Hours are Monday thru Friday 7:30am to 4:30pm. If emergency situations arise after normal work hours, please call 207-532-2259 or 207-532-2350. After normal work hour all calls are forwarded to the Houlton Police Department who in turn dispatch HWC personnel.

4. What is the average cost of a residential electric, water and sewer bill?

Electric $69.03 per month. Water $51.14 per quarter. Sewer $92.00 per quarter.

5. What services do you provide?

HWC provides electric, water and wastewater services

6. What is a LIAP credit?

Low Income Assistance Program – Please contact the office for further information

7. Do you have a drop box to leave payments?

Yes, a drop box is located to the right of the front entry door. The main body of the box is located inside the building and is secured by a vault.

8. How do you obtain service?

To sign up for service you must come to our 21 Bangor Street office location during business hours and sign a service request form to obtain Water, Sewer or Electric Service. A driver’s license or picture ID is required.

9. Do you offer any discounts? (ex. Heat pumps, elderly, time of usage, etc.)

No. HWC offers some of the lowest rates in New England and the focus is keeping the costs down for all of our customers.

10. Can you mail the electric, water and sewer payments together?

Yes, we also accept a single check to pay for all services. If partially paying the bills, the customer must designate where the payments shall be applied.

11. How do you read the water without going into the house?

On a majority of homes in town HWC has installed a touchpad reader for the convenience of the homeowner, so entry is not required of HWC personnel to read your meter.

12. How can I tell if I have a water leak?

Every water meter has a “leak detector”, this consists of a small triangular dial on the top of the water meter. Once you have verified that all water outlets in the home are off, check the top of the meter and if the triangular dial is not rotating then no leak. If moving then re-check all water outflows especially toilets which may be leaking and sometimes are difficult to detect.

13. How do I get a temporary pole to have a service put on?

Each circumstance is different, but for a temporary service HWC charges a $75 charge to install the pole.

14. Installation and cost of yard lights?

The cost of yard lights will vary depending upon the desired size. Please contact the office if you would like pricing. Our electric department can assist you to determine the location and type of light that works for your needs.

15. What am I responsible for on my water and sewer service?

For both the water and sewer service feeding the home, the customer is responsible for the respective service from the main in the street to the residence or business.

16. How do I get a credit on my sewer bill for filling a pool?

HWC maintains water meters that we loan out to customers free of charge to record the gallons of water used to fill the pool. These gallons are deducted from your next sewer bill.